How a Harness Maker came to Canada David Waddell and Sarah Holliday

Daily Intelligencer Paper Headline for Friday, November 22, 1889

Went Off the Wharf

A woman drowned at the foot of Princess Street

Mrs. Reed of Belleville, loses her life. She was in Kingston under treatment for partial blindness; a daughter of an old Kingstonian.

The old Kingstonian would be my second great grandfather David Waddell.

David Armstrong Waddell born Feb 23, 1819, possibly in Ireland died Dec 3, 1903 at Kingston, Ontario.

Two men were loading lumber at Richardson and Son’s Wharf shortly after eleven o’clock in the morning of November 22, 1889. They saw something floating in the water. On exploration they discovered it was a woman. The police were telephoned and Officer Megarry took charge of the remains, who set to work getting the body onto the wharf. The woman was well dressed, in morning clothes, and about forty years of age. Judging from her appearance she had been out on business, as her gloves were on her hands. On her fingers were three rings, a wedding ring and two others. In her pocket was a handkerchief which in one corner were the intitials “W.H.R.” and in the opposite corner the name “L.G. Reid.”

Many persons viewed the body but no one could identify her. Her lips still had color, her hair was neatly fixed up and not deranged. Coroner Saunders arrived and gave orders to R. Reid, undertaker, to take charge of the remains. They were put in an ambulance and taken to Reid’s morgue.

It was soon learned who the unfortunate woman was. She was Mrs. Leander Gersham Reed of Belleville, a daughter of David Armstrong Waddell, harness maker of Princess Street. Daughter, Elizabeth Jane, had come to Kingston six weeks ago to be treated for an eye infection that rendered her almost blind. She stopped with her father on Division Street. Under the careful treatment of Dr. Fenwick she was recovering her eyesight, and it is presumed she left her father’s residence during the fore morn with the intention of proceeding to his shop. She locked the house, as her step mother was in Renfrew. When Mr. Waddell went home at noon, he found the place closed. He made enquiries and soon learned of the dreadful calamity that had befallen the family. It is presumed that the unfortunate woman walked down the street, passed the shop and in her blindness proceeded upon the wharf and soon went into the water to her death. Mrs. Reed was married a number of years ago to L.G. Reed, formerly a soda manufacturer in this city. They afterwards removed to Belleville, where several children were born. Mr. Reid left for Montana. Four of the five children are living. The remains of Mrs. Reed were removed to her father’s residence this afternoon and friends notified of her sad ending.

Mrs. Reed was well known in Bellville. Her husband removed west a number of years ago. She was a great sufferer from her eyes. For some time she boarded on Octavia Street with her sons. Her daughter married Mr. Minto, Manager of Stroud’s Branch Tea House. One of her sons worked in the store and another recently left Belleville to work elsewhere.

The body will be brought here tomorrow for interment. The funeral will take place at 11 a.m. on arrival of the mixed train from the east.

The earliest record for Eliza Jane was the 1851 Census in England for the Botchergate Township, City of Carlisle, residing on James Street. Her father’s name was spelled David Waddel, age 32, birth listed at Whitehaven, occupation saddler; his wife Sarah age 26, dressmaker, born Caldbeck; son Thomas age 8, scholar, born at Whitehaven, daughter Eliza age 6 born at Whithaven, and Mary age 2 born at Carlisle. Eliza Jane was my second great aunt, David and Sarah my second great grandparents.

Caslisle Castle drawn by Wendy Harty Sep 2020

Carlisle is nestled in the Lake District, near the Solway coast, the Pennines and the Scottish border. It has a history. Its name means protected tower, from the walled city, having been built on Hadrian’s Wall. The Romans invaded Britain and built an old Roman fort called Luguvalium, in 72 AD. The castle construction began in 1093. The need for a castle in Carlisle was to keep the northern border of England secured against invasion from Scotland. A keep and city walls were constructed. For the next 700 years it changed hands many times. For a few months in 1567, Mary, Queen of Scots was imprisoned in the castle in the Warden’s Tower. In 1745 the Jacobite’s during their uprising the castle was seized, recaptured and the Jacobite’s executed there. By the time our David was married the British army occupied the barracks there.

Although on many census forms after this David’s birthplace was first listed as Feb 23, 1819, Ireland found on a 1841 Census at St. Bees, Cumberland, England with Ireland as birthplace. His mother’s name is listed as Elizabeth age 45, he 20 and a girl of 7 named Mary. St. Bee’s is a coastal village on the Irish Sea. 38 miles southwest of Carlisle, it was a busy port unloading sugar and rum from the colonies. As a young man looking after his mother Elizabeth (no trade listed ) and the unknown youngster Mary, David, on this census he is listed as saddler. A saddler ensures the saddle fits the horse. The job involves repairing and restoring saddles, bridles, harnesses and other leather goods.

Work horse with leather harness as David Waddell would have made and repaired. Pencil sketch drawn by Wendy Harty 2014.

From St. Bee’s is a distance of 5 miles up to Whitehaven, England, where on Feb 26, 1842 David wed Mary Crosthwaite there, aged 23 and 21. Mary had been baptized Dec 9, 1821 at Crosthwaite, her parents Thomas and Margaret Crosthwaite. At Whitehaven, Thomas Crosswaithe Waddell was born October 8, 1842, named after his maternal grandfather. It was English tradition that they named the dark haired girl, Eliza Jane in 1844, after David’s mother. David watched his lovely Mary decline after the birth and knew grief and I am assuming Mary died but I find no death record. David married again on Oct 31, 1847 at Carlisle to Sarah Holliday born Apr 10, 1825, at Cockermouth, England, daughter of John Holliday 1780-1863 and Mary Douglas 1783-1857, the 7th of 8 children. Sarah was 22 when she became an instant mother to Thomas and Eliza. The family continued to grow: Mary Alexence Waddell was born Dec 1848 and John Frances Faulkner Waddell born Mar 11, 1854, my second great grandfather.

It was in the year of 1854 a monstrous decision was made. Carlisle was in the Lake District, one of the finest areas of natural beauty with many lakes and mountains. Above we found out David and family lived on James Street. The houses were Georgian architecture: limestone, granite and red sandstone with blue green slates rows of identical terraced houses. Each house had an associated plot of land behind it with a covered archway and entrance. The plots of land gave way to merchant homeowners who built small cottage size factories and businesses. In the 1800’s machinery was invented. Mills for wool, linen and cotton were built and resulted in hat factories and tanneries, Do you suppose David wore his shalloons, a light twill weave woolen fabric used chiefly for coat linings or worsted stockings, cotton checks, gingham, woolens, linen and thread, and leathers. The fields would have been beautiful when the flax bloomed blue. William Wordsworth was born in Whitehaven. Did David ever know him or see him about climbing the local hills and dales enough to recite his poem?

“A little croft we owned – a plot of corn

A garden stored with peas and mint and tyme

And floweres for posies oft on Sunday morn

Plucked while the church bells rang their earlies chime

Can I forget our freaks at shearing time

My hen’s rich nest through long grass scarce espied….

It sounds lovely, with the largest fort in England, Carlisle Castle gracing the hill on Hadrian’s Wall. The wall was built eight feet broad and twelve feet in height. The castle with its turrets and milecastles, did the kids ever get to go explore? The fulling mill, where woolen cloth was placed in troughs of soapy water and then “walked on” with bare feet to give it texture had been mechanized by water powered hammers to pound the cloth. Other mills changed from grinding corn to making textiles. Did David buy his leather from Leather Millfield or buy cloth from Badgekins Close for his wife to sew? Did he frequent “The Swan” a local pub? Did David go back to Whitehaven and see the 18th century port that had expanded so rapidly with exports and imports with the new England colonies in the Americas, where perhaps he learned of Canada?

Carlisle the military town was deceased, replaced with the industrial age. In 1823 a canal was built to Port Carlisle to transport goods to Liverpool. This was replaced with a railroad and Carlisle had the largest railway marshalling yard in Europe. Expanding industries brought a boom and jobs shifted from rural farms to the cities. A housing shortage developed with 25,000 living in 5000 houses. They were herded together with animal barns, slaughter houses and communal lavatories with open drains. Perhaps it was the fear of cholera, for in these years England had a pandemic. People died by the thousands by consuming contaminated food and water. Acute diarrhea killed in hours. Perhaps their cellar became a cesspool under the floorboards that seeped in from sewers and filth seeping in from the outside. Living conditions were so bad riots were common and people emigrated.

David and Sarah Waddell, with children Thomas, Eliza Jane, Mary Alexence, and a very young John Waddell departed England, just after John was born in 1854 and were settled in Nappanee, Ontario by 1858 when Laura Ann was born there Dec 15, Sarah Helena Aug 24, 1865 and Edith Gertrude Oct 4, 1867. (Another daughter listed as E Waddell listed on this census born in 1856 must have died as no further records were found for her?)
Thus eight Waddell names were listed on the 1861 Census of Canada, being at Napanee, Lennox and Addington, Canada West, Canada. David’s occupation listed as saddler and harness maker. David was 42 years old, in a new country, his religion listed as Wesleyan Methodist, living in a 2 story frame house, had 2 horses, livestock valued at $140, $30 of carriages, 3 acres of land and was called D A Waddell on the form. He said he was born in England not Ireland? In the 1881 census at Frontenac, Kingston City, Ontario, he was 62, still a harness maker, with wife Sarah 56, and daughters: Laura 22, Sarah 16 and Edith 13 still living at home.

Wesleyan Methodist church was a splinter from the Methodist Episcopal Church, in 1843, formed in New York. They sponsored traveling preachers on the frontier and into Canada, where they appealed to the workingmen and farmers. With camp style meetings, they advocated for abolitionism and championed the rights of women. In 1867, a resolution was adopted favoring the right of women to vote, 44 years before the US constitution amended it.

Napanee is 26 miles from Kingston. The family grew up. Thomas in 1900 was in North Greenbuqsh, Rensselear, New York married Martha Hampson. He owned his house and was foreman in a hames factory. He had a household of 6: Lillian, Maud, William, Sarah and Martha. He could read and write. Thomas was a card carrying Mason. Thomas died of apoplexy in 1901 before his father. Lillian never married, died of myocarditis nephritis. Maud died of cardiac decompensation, Sarah died of typhoid fever.

Eliza Jane had married Leander Gershom Reed. He ran a soda water company in Kingston, Ontario 1869-70. Their children: John D. Reed died as a baby, Viola Etta 1866-1947, George Lansing 1868-1953, William Charles Henry 1870-1958, and Edward Deroche 1878-1944. It is through this last child that I have a DNA match of 50cM across 5 segments. Her husband Leander, went to Pasadena, California and died there in 1922 of asphyxiation by illuminating gas.

William Charles Henry Reed 1870-1958 , Eliza Jane’s 4th child, was written a letter for his devoted service to the Belleville Baptist Church as they watched in delight him in business from shop boy to manager in our most successful store. In 1905, William Reed opened Reed’s Tea and Bazaar on Jasper and 102 Edmonton. Reed had been in the tea trade in Ontario and after weeks of testing to find the best blend for Edmonton’s water, he made his own special tea to sell in the store. Reed’s had the first coffee roaster, first bridal registry, first to have a store Santa, and stocked toys year round not just at Christmas. In 1913 extremely cold temperatures led to fires from overburdened stoves. Reed’s burned out of control. They moved several times. In 1927 Edmonton had outgrown homestead suppliers and they opened Reed’s China and Gifts. There was a store in Lethbridge until 1990.

To William Reed a son was born Dr. George Ernest Reed. He became Assistant Professor of Psychriatry at McGill University.

Mary Alexence Waddell 3rd child of David and Sarah married Edward Andrew Madden Deroche in 1874. Once again her maiden name continued the tradition in their children’s names: Madeline Waddell Madden , Marie Beatrice Madden, Laura Alexina Waddell Madden, Helena Holliday (Lena) and Edna Pearl. Edward died when he was 50 and Mary went and lived with Beatrice her daughter in Kansas City and lived until age 94. Marie Beatrice lived to be 96.

John Francis Faulkner Waddell born Mar 11, 1854 in Carlisle, England, my great grandfather will be further recorded in a future blog.

Laura Ann Waddell born Dec 15, 1858 in Napanee, Ontario, married John Crawford in 1884 and had Jack, Edith Lorena, Kenneth Roswell, and Rhea. Laura Ann died in Ontario at age 93.

Sarah Helena born in 1865 married Henry Norman Moss. It was this daughter, that Sarah Holliday Waddell was visiting in Renfrew, Ontario when Eliza Jane drowned. Their children: Herbert Dean 1886-1932, Norman 1891 and Marjory Louisa Moss 1898. She died Jun 2, 1952 at Renfrew at age 86.

Edith Gertrude Waddell married Edmond Reynolds. Again I have a very strong match of 115 cM in 5 segments of DNA. This family moved to Michigan. Children: Stanley, Hazel Gertrude, Halliwell, Norman, and James David. Hazel died at age 25 of pulmonary and tuberculosis of the bowels. Tuberculosis in the early 1900s killed one out of every seven. It was spread through the air and bacteria entered the lungs. It begins to grow there and can spread to the kidneys, spine and brain. It was/is a horrible disease: it eats you up from the inside out, slowly diminishing capacity to breathe, as the chest fills with blood and liquid fills the lungs. Besides this daughter, Edith was preceded in death by her boys, Stanley and Halliwell in 1914, Hazel died in 1918. In 1934 she became a widow when Norman died. She lived out her life in Pontiac, Michigan until Jan 17, 1951 at age 83.

Great Great grandfather David Armstrong Waddell lived out his life at Kingston, Ontario, until December 3, 1903 at the age of 84, when he fell, was hospitalized and died of compression of the brain. Sarah Holliday Waddell, his wife, outlived the old Kingstonian by 3 years dying April 13, 1907 at Frontenac, Ontario, at the age of 82, cause was listed as paralysis.

Imagine if that decision of 1854 to emigrate to Canada had not been made? How different my life may have been? This couple had been married for 56 years. I come from a long line of love! Grandparents Gordon and Olive Waddell 63 years and parents John and Jeane Waddell 57 years.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Create your website with
Get started
%d bloggers like this: